Monday, May 2, 2011

The Next Elizabeth Taylor


Saturday, my partner in crime, Cari, and I participated in a really fun benefit craft bazaar for a preschool here in Portland, OR, so there were lots of little folks bouncing around.  The bazaar organizers did a fabulous job of keeping them occupied with an excellent activity table, but they also meandered around to look at the various vendor tables with their moms and grandmoms.  One grandmom came by with her little red-headed sprite who immediately related to my jewelry.  I recognized a sparkly kindred spirit.  As she was getting to leave with her grandmom, her little fingers spidered across and took a necklace and put it in on right over her head.  Her grandmom and I managed to get her to part with it, but later the same little person came back on her own (grandmom was nearby) and still wanted to "borrow" some of the jewelry to wear.  I gently told her no, but that she was welcome to stand with me and look at all the jewelry and even "borrow" some to wear while standing at the table.  She proceeded to go over everything intently and brought many pieces to me to discuss and to wear for a bit.  Her eyes sparkled while the jewelry sparkled.  Little one was able to carry on very articulate conversations and had a great many good questions.  After about one-half hour, she tired and left to find her mom, and her grandmom came back over to chat.  I told her I recognized a sparkly kindred spirit.  Grandmom told me Scarlett, the kindred spirit, had loved sparkly things since birth and even now at two-and-one-half years of age gravitated toward the shiny things in life. 


Scarlett, of course, Scarlett.  Scarlett of the aquamarine earbobs from "Gone With The Wind."  Grandmom agreed that the red-headed sprite and her name were a perfect match.  I laughed and told Grandmom that not only was Scarlett the perfect match, but that they might have a future Elizabeth Taylor on their hands.



We both chuckled about that and about the love of jewelry in general, but then grandmom told me that they hoped Ms. Scarlett would not only love jewelry, but that some day she would end up an engineer.  We agreed that would be very good, but it also left me with the thought how wonderful it is to be two-and-one-half years old and be your very own truly remarkable sparkly self.

No comments:

Post a Comment